Filter results...
-
Refuge responds to video posted by Billy Joe Saunders
In response to the video posted by Billy Joe Saunders, which appeared online over the weekend, Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: ‘Videos like this reinforce what we already know: society’s attitude towards domestic violence simply has to change. Sharing content like this is as dangerous as it is […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to reports of potential increase in domestic abuse during COVID-19
Refuge responds to reports of potential increase in domestic abuse during periods of lockdown and issues survivors guide. In response to reports about potential increase in domestic abuse across the country during periods of isolation, Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of National Domestic Abuse charity Refuge said: “Refuge is concerned about the potential for incidents […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to COVID-19
Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of National Domestic Abuse charity Refuge said: ‘1.6 million women experienced domestic abuse last year, and self-isolation has the potential to aggravate pre-existing abusive behaviours by perpetrators. ‘While in lockdown or self-isolation, women and children are likely to be spending concentrated periods of time with perpetrators, potentially escalating the threat […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to the Spring Budget
In response to today’s budget announcement, Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: “Refuge is disappointed that despite announcing significant increases in Government spending in today’s budget, there were no announcements on funding for domestic abuse specialist services. Austerity cuts have decimated domestic abuse services – with Refuge seeing more […]
Read more
-
Domestic Abuse Bill 2020
Last Tuesday, the Domestic Abuse Bill re-started its journey in Parliament to become law. After significant delays due to Brexit, the prorogation of Parliament and the general election at the end of last year, the Bill is back. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for the Government to transform its response to domestic abuse and make […]
Read more
-
Refuge joins the Duchess of Cornwall’s call
Refuge joins the Duchess of Cornwall’s call for domestic abuse to be recognised as #EveryonesProblem Domestic abuse is the biggest issue facing women and children in the country today – almost one in three women will experience domestic abuse in their lifetime The Duchess of Cornwall shines a spotlight on this insidious issue giving a […]
Read more
-
Refuge response to reintroduction of the Domestic Abuse Bill
In response to the the reintroduction of the Domestic Abuse Bill, Sandra Horley CBE, chief executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: “Refuge welcomes the re-introduction of the Domestic Abuse Bill, which is significantly enhanced by the addition of a legal duty on local authorities to provide refuge accommodation. “This Bill offers the government […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to Femicide Census stats
In response to the Femicide Census stats released today, Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: This data shows the shocking reality of the sheer scale of violence against women and girls. It is horrific that women continue to be killed at such a rate by violent men. Sadly, it […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to Government’s announcement of funding for support services for survivors of domestic abuse
In response to the Government’s announcement of funding for support services for survivors of domestic abuse, Sandra Horley CBE, chief executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: The announcement by the Government of extra funds to support domestic abuse services is a crucial and welcome temporary measure – but will only go some way […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to ONS annual homicide statistics
London 13th February 2020: Refuge, the UK’s largest domestic violence charity, responds to Office for National Statistics (ONS) annual homicide statistics. In response to the release today of homicide statistics from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: ‘These statistics show that violence against […]
Read more
-
Refuge responds to Government announcement of consultation on pre-charge bail
In response to the Home Office announcement that the Government is launching a public consultation on pre-charge bail, Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: ‘Refuge welcomes this important consultation announced today, and shares the Government’s desire for change in the way those accused of domestic abuse are processed by […]
Read more
-
Refuge comments on CPS Violence Against Women and Girls statistics
In response to the CPS Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) statistics released today, Sandra Horley CBE, Chief Executive of national domestic abuse charity Refuge said: ‘These statistics are both disappointing and frustrating. Rape reports to the police are increasing, yet referrals to the CPS are in decline. What sort of message does this send […]
Read more
Contact the Refuge press team on:
Email Us | 0207 395 7731
Please note: due to the number of requests we receive and our limited resources, we are unable to provide personal support to student projects. There is lots of information on this website, including many of our publications and reports which are available to download, so please make the most of these resources.